Former Black Stars forward Kevin-Prince Boateng is not disappointed Monza failed to pick three points in their Serie B clash with Lecce last Monday, but admitted much has changed with Lecce during his time with AC Milan.
The Former Barcelona man joined Monza from Fiorentina at the beginning of this season playing a key role in on-course-for Seria A promotion with the Italian lower side.
Before his move to Monza, Boateng was linked with a return to Serie A outfit Fiorentina but later failed having spent the second round of the 2019/20 season on loan at Turkish giants Besiktas.
Boateng combined with his team-mates to cruise past Salernitana in the Serie B last week but settled for away goalless draw against Leece last Monday.
The Ghanaian International has good memories of Lecce who Boateng struck three times against in his days at AC Milan in 2011.
Prince Boateng scored a hat-trick after coming on as a substitute as a stunning second-half comeback for Milan saw the Serie A champions recover from three goals down to beat Lecce 4-3.
After failing to beat the same opponents with Monza in the Seria B nine years later, Boateng was asked to share his thoughts on the results with Lecce- the first opponents in three games to hold Monza in the league.
The forward said he still remembered his hat-trick with Milan but believed that many have changed with Lecce.
“I still remember well the Via del Mare and that hat-trick with Milan in Serie A, but now things have changed. Lecce is a good team. I think 0-0 is the right result,” he told reporters.
Balotelli, who scored on his debut for Monza last week, missed the game due to muscular problems.
“Neither of us wanted to make a mistake. Balotelli out? He arrived with great desire; he felt a little annoyed but he wanted to play at all costs. He will still give us a great hand,” he said.
The 33-year old feels passionate about his move to Monza that many people see the Seria B side as a lower for Kevin’s caliber. However, he has described his Monza move as ‘the greatest of his career’.
“For many reasons, I could have stayed calm in Florence, but I’m used to the pressure and that’s why I chose this project,” Boateng said on Goal. “I want to help Monza achieve great goals.”
Boateng has reunited with former AC Milan president and vice chairman Silvio Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani having worked with them at the Serie A giants in 2010 and in another short spell in 2016.
Berlusconi and Galliani, who are influential Italian businessmen and politicians, took ownership of Monza in 2018.
“I have a bond with Galliani and Berlusconi that goes beyond football, so it would have been difficult to say no when they called me,” Boateng revealed.
“I’m not used to playing in a team without pressure, but I see a lot of ambition and can’t wait to get started.”
Monza remain third on the table despite dropping two points in their last game.
Connect with Futball Surgery