Mohamed Sherif lone goal against Esperance boost Al Ahly chances of reaching second straight Caf Champions League final under Mosimane

Al Ahly managed with an away victory over Esperance de Tunis after Mohamed Sherif strike in the second half.

The game delayed over an hour due to Esperance fans into tear gas explosions allowing South African referee Victor Gomes to hold on kick off for an hour. With both players struggling to breathe they headed back into dressing rooms.

The game started on a slow pace where both teams were caution to concede the first goal.

Al Ahly had their first shot on target in the 17th minute, following a short free-kick routine but Mohamed Sherif’s attempt was saved.

Al Ahly found back of the net but after VAR review the goal was overturned. Sherif tab in a rebound after a long range shot from deep midfield was completely dealt with by Ben Cherifia.

That epic cancelled-goal was on the 30’ minute mark and four minutes later Esperance could have taken the lead when Ben Romdhane was played through on goal by Benguit and when after the previous coming one-on-one with El Shenawy, he failed to beat the Ahly keeper as the shot stopper saved the situation to corner.

Ahly broke the deadlock in the second half as Sherif scored from his own rebound. After receiving a through ball from Dieng who did well to drive from his own half to Esperance box the Cameroonian International played Sherif through as the Egyptian struck but found the left post instead before striking back of the net with a rebound.

Today’s victory hand Al Ahly a huge advantage in the semifinals first leg before the second leg comes off at the Cairo International Stadium next weekend. Should Ahly maintain their lead in the next fixture, it becomes the club second consecutive Caf Champions League final under Mosimane- who luckly won the ultimate last season after Rene Weiler had done most part of Ahly’s road to the glory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *