Al Ahly consumed in DELAYED Egyptian Super Cup final after El-Gaish run away with 3-2 on penalties victory

Egyptian side El-Gaish have won the Egyptian Super Cup after beating African champions Al Ahly 3-2 in penalty shootouts.

The 2019/2020 Egyptian Super Cup has been postponed for nearly a year, due to it overlapping with the start of the new season.

The game saw 2020 Egyptian Premier League and Egypt Cup champions Al Ahly, coming up against cup runners-up Tala’a El-Gaish.

Al Ahly dominated the entirety of the first-half in terms of possession but only had one clear cut opportunity, which came in the 44th minute. Amr El-Sulya played a through ball to Mohamed Sherif inside the penalty area and the striker missed the target to hand El-Gaish a goal kick.

Meanwhile, the military club were attempting to play on the counter attack but failed to test goalkeeper Mohamed El-Shennawy.

El-Gaish got their first chance of the game in the 51st minute through Abdelrahman Shika’s powerful long ranger which was caught by El-Shennawy.

The Reds Devils’ latest signing Luis Miquissone was subbed-on in the 60th minute to mark his first official appearance for the club.

Just over 10 minutes after coming in, Miquissone found Afsha on the edge of the six-yard box with a spectacular pass but the latter’s attempt was saved by Bassam.

Then in the 78th minute, Hussein El-Shahat took a shot from nearly 40 yards out but Bassam was once again there to put it into a corner kick.

As the 90 minutes ended in a goalless draw, the game was sent to two extra times, which also didn’t lead to anything as the game went to penalty shootouts.

El-Shennawy and Bassam were once again the stars of the show in the penalties as the game was sent to sudden death after they each saved three penalties.

Mohamed Sherif then stepped up to take the final penalty but Bassam was there to stop and hand El-Gaish their first ever trophy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *