Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City, more about the game

Liverpool welcomed Manchester City to Anfield in Sunday’s late kickoff. Before this game, a win would boost each team’s chances on the league log, as when Liverpool claim victory, it would extend their 6 points lead to 9 off their today’s opponents.

However, City’s win would see Liverpool’s lead cut down to only three points which would have piled pressure on Liverpool for the remaining of the season.

Manchester City started the game as the better side after Bernardo silver and Kelvin De Bruyne start to test Liverpool defense.

City broke on counter during the 5 minute but Virgil van Dijk hands terminated City’s attack inside his box. Bernardo Silva had incurred a pass to unmarked Raheem Sterling on the far left side but the ball hit Van Dijk’s hand without the referee awarding a penalty on the spot or the VAR calling for it later.

With referee Michael Oliver failing to award a penalty to City, the return counter attack led to Liverpool’s opener. City had cleared their lines from the resulting counter attack but Fabinho stopped the ball right at the back of City box, from some 32 yards to goal, the Brazilian smashed in a thunderous shot into the City’s net to give Liverpool the lead 6’ minutes into the game.

City continued to enjoy possession but Liverpool continued to score, as this time, Liverpool caught City on the counter break down the left flank. This attack came following a long searching pass from the left foot of Alexander-Arnold inside the center of the pitch, to which the pass found Andrew Robertson on the left wing.

The left back ran through his channel before sending a marvelous slide pass across City’s defense to Salah. The Egyptian hit a one-time header into the far right bottom corner of the posts to send Liverpool 2-0 in 13 minutes.

City came close to getting their first consolation but Aguero’s effort on the 25’ minute was brilliantly saved by Alisson Becker. Around the 27’ minute mark, City began trying to open up the tight defense of Liverpool but failed on that occasion.

Two minutes later, after a nice team play from City, Angelino saw his effort hit the woodwork on the 29’ minute.

Liverpool nearly got their third goal on the 36’minute as Arnold from the right flank run through City’s defense, he picked Firmino inside City’s box with a nice pass but the Brazilian’s shot was saved by Ederson.

Three minutes later, dominating City in terms of possession but not goals broke on counter again, De Bruyne who had run through the middle of the park pass the ball to Aguero on the left edge of Liverpool box but the Argentine’s shot missed the posts by an inch.

City continued to show some great football in the last four minutes of the first half, and worked the ball nicely around Liverpool penalty area but could not hit the net.

Six minutes into the second half, Mane put Liverpool 3-0 ahead after heading home a stunning cross from Henderson at the right flank.

On the 78’ minute, City pull one back through Bernardo Silva after the former Monaco player strike past Becker in the far left of the keeper. A minute later, Raheem Sterling who has been creating problems for Liverpool in the final minutes exchange pass with Gabriel Jesus but the English shot was blocked by Becker.

City had grown confidence into the last 13 minutes of the game, caught Liverpool on the counter breaks especially with Sterling causing problems for Arnold in particular. City claimed for a penalty after Sterling’s pass hit the hands of Alexander-Arnold inside Liverpool 12-yard box on 83’ minute but Michael Oliver waved play-on.

Today’s win send Liverpool to nine points clear above Manchester City but eight above second place Leicester City.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *